What is YouTube?
Authors hear a lot about the importance of marketing and promoting their work on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. All of these platforms have their own audiences, features, and benefits. One platform that is often overlooked by authors is YouTube. Because the content that is shared on YouTube is video-based, many authors feel this platform is outside their technical skillset, which isn’t always the case. With some basic equipment, software, and planning, you too can become a YouTuber!
Why YouTube? YouTube is the largest video-sharing website in the world, with 2 billion monthly users and still growing. According to Datareportal.com, there were 4.39 billion internet users in 2019, meaning over 45% of these users report having a YouTube account. This is a gigantic pool of video-watching consumers that can become potential readers of your books.
How YouTube Benefits Authors
When authors think of video marketing for their books they often think of book trailers, but going beyond the video trailer to create and share other relevant videos can be an excellent way to strengthen your author brand, attract readers, and build a fan base. And, sharing these videos on the world’s second most visited website (YouTube is 2nd only to Google) and second largest social media platform (YouTube is 2nd only to Facebook) has huge advantages.
How to Get Started with YouTube
• Your research process
• Your editing process
• Your publishing journey
• Steps or tips from your books
• Interviews with experts on your topic
• Your books’ themesFiction Authors
• Your outlining or plotting process
• Your character development process
• How you brainstorm and track world building
• Your books’ themesThe goal with each video is to entertain, inform, or educate viewers, not just promote. As an author, you already have a lot of content in your portfolio that you can leverage. You can even get personal if you want to share your hobbies and passions. Subscribing to the channels of other authors in your genre is a great way to get inspired and help you build a solid content plan.
The ideal time to start building your online presence is a few months before your book is released. Don’t overlook YouTube for your social media and book marketing strategy, as it can introduce a huge number of potential readers to you and your work, and provide a fun, creative outlet. By following the above tips, you can create a YouTube channel that engages fans and finds new readers.
To learn more about YouTube, how to use it, and how to get the most out of the platform, check out other YouTube content on the ALC or the YouTube Help Center.
Great article. My daughter is a videographer/editor and is assisting me (thank goodness) in between setting up a YouTube video she is cooking up with her brothers so I'm competing for their time but still want to launch in conjunction with my book launch in 2021.
I love this so much. Great to be part of this.
Great ideas, thanks
© Copyright 2018 Author Learning Center. All Rights Reserved